Have you considered diverting attention away from your dress size by glamming up your look? This can be a lot of fun with experimenting with different accessories and the effect can make a big difference! So read on to get the low down on glamming up your look.
It can be all too easy to throw on anything in your wardrobe especially when pressed for time or unhappy with your look. Sometimes we don’t even consider the final product and the effect it can have even on our self-esteem.
We may look at famous stars in magazines while passing a newsagent or waiting to see the doctor and think ‘I could never look like that, I don’t have the stylist, money or time’. But it doesn’t have to be that hard, expensive or even time-consuming. You just need the basics and some simple guidelines to follow.
Accessories, Accessories, Accessories
Accessories include jewelry e.g. earrings, rings, bracelet and necklace, scarfs, belt, bags etc. Although accessories do not necessarily make you look, skinner, they can help draw the eye away from problem areas. They can also help glam up what would normally be a simple outfit.
Complimenting your Outfit
Wear accessories that compliment your outfit, don’t overdo it as this can clash rather than add to what you are wearing. If the outfit you are wearing is quite striking e.g. with elaborate beading or print, then keep the accessories simple, if your outfit is simple or plain, then accessorise up.
Accessorising for the Occasion
- Dressing classy – Keep it simple by choosing minimal bracelets and rings. Choose basic accessories that aren’t too big and chunky. Try studs, pearls or simple gold or silver chains.
- Dressing sassy – Choose big earrings e.g. hoops or dangly types or a long piece of bling around your neck.
- Dressing stylish – Choose a chunky necklace or an outrageous pair of earrings, and stack up the bangles on your wrist.
Choose a Focal Accessory
One outstanding accessory with act as a focus. Other accessories should be small and complimentary to this amazing necklace, bracelet or pair of earrings.
Let the real you shine with a signature accessory. This could be a belt, scarf, headband or necklace. Try varying the colors, style and patterns of your signature accessory depending on your outfit or mood.
Accessorising to Save
Accessories can be costly especially if you are trying to keep up with the latest hot item. So try and choose accessories that don’t age and can be worn even after the fashion dies. It should be noted that there are times that all of us rush out and buy cheaper jewellery in order to save money.
Although you may make a saving at the time, often it isn’t long before cheaper jewellery break. So occasionally it is better to spend a bit more on a few classic quality pieces that will last longer.
Accessorising with Belts
Belts can add sophistication and style to even a simple look. Here are a few tips:
- Look at your outfit and assess what is missing e.g. is it plain with no patterns or sequins if so a decorative, colorful or contrasting belt can help make your outfit stand out.
- Determine whether you would like a thin or a thick belt to compliment your outfit. The loopholes in your pants can help you decide.
- Consider buying belts that match handbags or shoes that you already have or intend to buy.
- Remember that a belt can accentuate your outfit rather than blending in. Use a belt to show off your tiny waist or drop the waistline to divert eyes from problem areas.
- Buy both narrow and wide belts in different colors, fabrics and styles. Consider the purpose of these either being for work or social occasions and have some for both.
Accessorising with Bags
Most women will carry a bag or purse when going out. These are not only a fashion item but serve the purpose of carrying all the essentials required during that outing whether it is work or a social occasion. They come in millions of shapes, sizes, colors and patterns. Choose a bag that is sized proportionally to your body size i.e. tall people should avoid wearing a small bag as this will make them look taller. Choose different colors and patterns to match your preferences and personality.
Overall think about how you feel and the image you want to project, and accessorize accordingly. It is important to be comfortable and confident in what you are wearing as confidence will help pull off almost anything. But don’t be afraid to experiment because you may just find a glam new style that is so you!